Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Catalyst

I took Dasher to get his shots today. Here is a narrative of our experience:

(Dasher is sitting quietly with his tail between his legs, shaking.)
Vet Tech: "Does he bite?"
Me: "No."
Vet Tech: "Okay, I'm going to put a muzzle on him. He looks like a fear biter."

The vet tech applies the muzzle with no resistance from Dasher. He then draws blood and administers two shots. Not a peep from Dasher. No raised hair. No snarling. No growling. No whining. No crying. No movement beyond shaking.

He is not a fear biter. Do you know what his fear response was? He pooped on the vet tech. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this was your experience. I had a similar one during our very first vet visit. The first thing the vet said when he walked in the room was:
    "Do I need to put a muzzle on her?"

    Ugh. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with muzzles used correctly, but the way it was said still irritates me today.

    At least, that's my excuse for laughing out loud at the fact Dasher pooped on the tech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristine, your sentiments are the same as mine! If the vet had said "I've experienced one too many bites, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.", then I would not have been so perturbed.

    I'm glad we could make you laugh! And thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete